Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments, development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve.
We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability. Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data — a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy — our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP a mobile health platform Ona is developing in partnership with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a delivery focused Senior Technical Program Manager. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Health Technical Lead (Principal TPM).
To develop and implement mobile, facility and enterprise technology solutions that support the real-time exchange of information from a local to national scale. This includes creating child vaccine systems, integrating electronic medical record systems, exchanging vital health information and supporting the coordination of national health programs.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Work everyday with the engineering team leads, project managers and designers to develop the right technical solutions across multiple platforms to meet the implementation needs.
- Support the day-to-day technical program management needs of the engineering team, making decisive decisions, promptly responding to requests and asking for help when needed.
- Write software specifications, manage project execution, understand resourcing needs, review UI/UX wireframes and mockups, and define product roll-out strategy, including writing product development timelines.
- Convert high level project goals to ticket level tasks with a detail that can be executed by our engineering team.
- Judiciously document and communicate project activities, plans and decisions, ensuring team members at different levels know their role and are supported to execute their assignment.
- Work with clients/partners to define the problem they are trying to address thereafter collaborate with designers and analysts to design an appropriate technology solution. This often involves travel to the partners site.
- Lead the processes of project scope definition, objectives, functional requirements, including writing project proposals and budgets, while involving all relevant stakeholders ensuring technical feasibility.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget at the highest attainable quality standards.
- Identify project and technical risks early, raise them with our team and work together on mitigation strategies.
- Actively engage with team members, offering to assist if your skills can contribute to the project. Mentor colleagues on TPM best practices and growth.
- Develop and maintain industry leading technical understanding to translate program requirements into technical requirements, communicate and work closely with our engineers.
- Present project progress in a timely manner to Ona’s senior management team and project stakeholders to ensure program management and quality standards are met.
- Analyze user feedback and ensure the technical solution continuously improves and optimizes client satisfaction.
- Attend stakeholder meetings, workshops, and conferences and present Ona’s products and work to diverse audiences (health, technical, etc.)
- Self-starter who is motivated to move the team and project ahead without direct instruction.
- Able to take big, sometimes nebulous, projects and tasks and break them down into granular details that can be accomplished by the engineering team.
- Able to prioritize dozens of high value tasks across multiple projects simultaneously, in an environment where priorities are constantly changing. Able to stay organized and deliver in this environment.
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly, and effectively in written and spoken English.
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field, e.g. computer science, IT, economics, social science, engineering, etc.
- At least 5 years of experience managing the software development lifecycle on large scale projects.
- Adept at breaking down complex technical problems into actionable steps
- Clearly demonstrated experience leading multiple complex projects and teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience interacting with and designing RESTful APIs.
- Comfortable working in Linux environments, running web servers, testing Android APKs and triaging problems.
- Proficient in SQL.
- Knowledge and experience working with agile methodologies.
- Willing to travel globally (potentially up to 20-30% of time).
- Knowledge of project management tools (e.g. GitHub projects, Avaza, Trello, JIRA).
- Background as an engineering team lead, manager or ability to demonstrate competency at that level.
- Experience configuring and implementing widely-adopted, open source data and information platforms in a large scale project(e.g. OpenSRP, Ona.io, ODK, OpenMRS, DHIS2, RapidPro and OpenHIE).
- Interest and deep familiarity with ICT4D.
- Ability to speak French or any other language.
How to apply
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
- Examples of your work, projects you've completed, or your website.
Note we will only contact shortlisted candidates.