Who we are
At Ona, we don't just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We're looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
We believe in taking the approach of applying software engineering to infrastructure automation and manage operations. We are looking for a Devops/Site Reliability Engineer with an operations and software engineering background, to help us build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems.
Qualities we're looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in, then you research and stand on the shoulders of giants to follow best practices. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user's problem is the end goal.
- You prefer open systems that are verifiably secure, you publish and use open source code, like we do.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span time zones and cultures.
- You're ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Maintain production system uptimes.
- Help with architecture for new and upcoming projects.
- Defining, creating deployment scripts installation and automating processes and programs.
- Monitoring and optimizing infrastructure resource usage, cost and security.
- Exploring and Testing new deployments/tools/environments.
- Planning in proposals and project inception.
- Work collaboratively with the engineering team on-call rotation
- Write and review code for tools that help automate operation tasks.
- Minimum 2 years writing production web or system applications.
- Minimum 1 years maintaining production systems on Linux.
- Experience writing Golang, Java, and Python code.
- Experience with CI/CD tools and processes.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience in monitoring resource usage.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical, and project management teams to collect requirements.
- Experience in communicating technical issues and solutions to technical and non-technical Stakeholders.
- Experience in setting up and maintaining applications such web servers, load balancers, relational databases, storage systems, and messaging systems.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code using Hashicorp Terraform, Packer, and Helm.
- Experience managing and automating deployments using configuration management tools e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Experience managing and automating infrastructure on AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Experience using Docker, Kubernetes (or container orchestration equivalent).
- Experience using InfluxDB, Graphite, Prometheus, and Grafana.
- Experience using Monit, Nginx, and SystemD.
- An understanding of web security best practices.
Please send the following
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you've completed, or your website.
- (bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we've written.
Note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.