Ona is a social enterprise that develops technology solutions for the world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations. Our technology helps increase social impact by allowing implementing partners to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve.
We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data, to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona’s mission is to help ensure every person gets access to the critical services they deserve. We work with partners to develop data solutions based on a combination of products built in-house and third-party tools that we support. Our current product portfolio includes Ona Data - a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy - our enterprise analytics solution, Akuko - a BI and data storytelling platform with powerful maps - and OpenSRP - a mobile health platform based on the FHIR standard.
We are looking for a Sales engineer that is passionate about understanding client needs and translating that for the design, data and engineering teams so that Ona can develop technical solutions to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
The selected candidate will work closely with our business development and technical teams to write technical proposals and conduct demos to partners from ministries of health, international NGOs, foundations, and UN agencies, showcasing our products and platforms.
The role will be matrix managed and report to the CTO with day-to-day task management by the Partnerships Lead.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the business development team with qualifying and closing deals by providing oversight on technical solution design and development for new opportunities
- Gather detailed technical requirements from prospective clients throughout the sales cycle and work with technical leads to design and pitch an appropriate solution
- Write technical proposals; maintain accountability over proposing solutions that are technically feasible and managing client expectations with clear descriptions of what is in and out of scope for a particular project
- Collaborate with the design, tech and delivery leads to estimate LOEs, prepare high-level work plans, and draft budgets
- Translate technical terms into language easily understood by non-technical audiences, and translate business requirements into clear technical specifications
- Work closely with Ona’s leadership team and product managers to ensure proposals are aligned with the company strategy and product roadmap
- Conduct demos of Ona’s products and solutions to clients
- Gather, synthesize, and present market research and feedback to the business development and leadership teams to help inform the product roadmap
- Support in the handover process to the project delivery team, clearly communicating requirements and the proposed solution to Project Managers, Technical Project Managers, Design Lead, Technical Leads, and Engineers
- Improve pre-sales tools and processes to strengthen the business development/sales to delivery pipeline
Product and technical knowledge
- Strong technical understanding of software development, architecture, and integrations.
- Ability to learn the ins and outs of Ona’s digital health and data solutions products, as well as package and present them as a solution to meet client needs.
- Excellent scoping, requirements gathering, and technical writing skills.
- Capable of building or leading the development of custom demos and videos.
- Familiarity with estimating LOEs for technical work packages.
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing market feedback.
Client engagement and stakeholder management
- Excellent presentation, communication, and storytelling skills (both written and verbal).
- Proven track record of developing trust, demonstrating technical expertise, and building strategic relationships with clients.
- Ability to describe technical solutions in both technical and non-technical language with a wide variety of stakeholders, from high-level decision makers to program managers to engineers.
- Confidence in managing and communicating expectations, setting clear boundaries, and getting sign-off about what is in and out of scope.
- Experience leading the solutions design and development process with input from internal stakeholder groups, including designers, tech leads, and senior leadership.
- Thorough documentation and tracking client engagement.
- Proactive communication and coordination with internal and external stakeholder groups; able to judge and make decisions about whom to consult and keep informed throughout the sales process.
Academic background, work experience and general skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related field.
- At least 5 years of work experience with at least 2 - 3 years in a similar role (e.g. pre-sales engineer, solution architect, application engineer, solutions consultant).
- Prior experience working in the international development sector and working with stakeholders from a variety of cultural and organizational backgrounds.
- Self-directed, proactive, and goal-oriented.
- Strong strategic thinking, analysis, and prioritization skills.
- Excellent listening skills, attention to detail, and problem solving abilities.
- Willingness and ability to travel (up to 20-30%, following a Covid-19 safety assessment)
- Master’s degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or related field.
- Proven track record in successfully pitching and winning product-aligned new business.
- Prior experience working in the ICT4D and Tech4Dev space.
- A passion for open source software and Global Goods.
- Familiarity with Ona Data, OpenSRP, or other Ona products and platforms.
- Professional working proficiency in another language (e.g. French, Arabic) in addition to English.
- Experience participating in the design and development of sales/marketing collateral.
Please send the following:
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Updated resume/CV.