Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments and development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve. We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona’s mission is to help ensure every person gets access to the critical services they deserve. We work with partners to develop data solutions based on a combination of products built in-house and third-party tools that we support. Our current product portfolio includes Ona Data - a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy - our enterprise analytics solution, Akuko - a BI and data storytelling platform with powerful maps - and OpenSRP - a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
At Ona, we don't just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for managing a team of engineers at Ona. At Ona we follow the Servant leadership philosophy of management. The main goal of the leader is to serve through sharing power, putting the needs of the employees first and helping people develop and perform as highly as possible.
This position is open to both those based in Nairobi, Kenya and remotely, preferably with a time zone that largely overlaps with East African time (EAT).
Key roles and responsibilities
- Mentor team members, hold 1-1’s, review technical work, help with non-technical challenges, e.g. communication, timeliness, and participate in career growth paths.
- Ensure direct reports have what they need to succeed and are happy, inquire and understand the grievance of direct reports, and communicate those to the leadership team.
- Responsible for suggesting, implementing, and monitoring changes to team and organization structure.
- Participation in the hiring process of engineers
- Identify potential candidates within the team that best fit our roles (e.g. team leads, senior engineers.
- Encourage, promote and ensure the use of best practices including code reviews, automated testing, CI/CD across teams and projects, and help others to improve the quality of their work.
- Participate in the onboarding and offboarding processes for engineers
- Lead the engineer planning/resourcing process and communicate assignments to the respective engineers.
- Take lead in technical meetings and provide technical and coordination support to Ona’s partners / clients.
- Assist in the development of a support strategy, and help with support requests when needed.
- Engage with Product Managers and business stakeholders to define platform requirements.
- Provide feedback and guidance to clients on work when necessary
- Participate in task planning and release planning
- Actively participate and contribute to architectural and technical stack choices
- Partners with product management to align the roadmap with the technical design and strategy.
- Responsible for designing and prototyping complex, cross platform business solutions to validate newer technologies.
- Travel for technical reviews, workshops and onsite delivery activities
Team and Company Ambassador
- Provide training to clients and/or colleagues and/or in events or exhibitions where you are representing the company in any capacity.
- Cross team communication within the organization.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within and across departments.
- Minimum 5 years programming production Java, Kotlin, or Python web applications
- Experience programming with APIs and service based architectures
- Experience with databases and their integration into web applications and data warehouses
- Hands-on experience with Linux servers in virtualized environments
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Previous experience as a data engineer or in a similar role.
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience with PostgreSQL, SQLite, other relational, key-value, column-oriented, or log-based databases
- Experience with Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, AWS and other IaaS and infrastructure as code systems.
- Experience with Apache Beam, Samza, NiFi, Superset, Kafka
- Experience with Django, React, Redux, PostgreSQL, Superset, NiFi, or Kafka
Please send the following
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Current resume.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you've completed, or your website.
- (bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we've written.
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.