Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability. We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments, development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve.
We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data — a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy — our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP, a mobile health platform Ona is developing in partnership with the World Health Organization.
We are looking for a Senior people specialist. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Key roles and responsibilities
Hiring and Recruitment
- Lead the full recruitment life cycle from attraction, offer, and acceptance.
- Oversee and conduct onboarding of new staff and employee exit interviews.
- Manage meetings related to hiring and recruitment.
- Work with Hiring leads continuing to improve the overall candidate experience, making improvements on how to attract and engage with candidates at all levels.
Training and Development
- Leading the implementation of Ona’s performance management system including implementation of the performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs.
- Ensure smooth implementation and running of the in-house employee training activities; training needs assessment, new employee onboarding or orientation, personnel training on culture, diversity, sexual harassment, etc.
- Take lead in the application of performance management systems, refresher training, advice on managing poor performance, and linking performance review to compensation changes, learning, and development initiatives.
- Recommend Human resource policies and objectives for the company on any topic associated with employee relations and employee rights.
- Partner with management to communicate Human resource policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Determine and recommend employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Conduct periodic surveys to measure employee satisfaction and employee engagement.
- Conduct periodic calls with all staff to check on their well being and guide team leads accordingly if there are some aspects that need to be addressed.
- Monitor and advise Team leads and Senior management on the progressive discipline system of the company.
- Monitor the implementation of the performance improvement process.
- Lead the implementation of company safety and health programs.
- Monitor the tracking of OSHA-required data.
- Review employee appeals and ensure that high standards of discipline are maintained within the company, act on non-compliance in a fair, transparent, and effective manner.
- Play a key role in ensuring that the company is in compliance with all existing labor, legal, and government reporting requirements to ensure minimal company exposure to lawsuits.
- Protects the interests of employees and the company in accordance with company Human Resources policies and governmental laws and regulations.
- Conduct market research to establish the best remuneration and reward practices that will help to recruit and retain a world-class team.
Management of Staff Benefits
- Maintain and manage the company’s medical insurance scheme by analyzing medical claims, monitoring fund expenditure, liaising with insurance brokers on any issues that may arise, analyzing the cost-effectiveness of the fund, and advising on best suited medical providers.
- Manage staff benefits which include group medical scheme, group pension scheme (if any), and WIBA.
- By working closely with the Operations team, be in charge of organizing & coordinating the company's events, this includes team building activities, conferences, retreats, etc.
- Incharge of organizing and coordinating company social events this includes Friday game nights, brown bags, get to know sessions, etc.
Team Player/Company Ambassador
- Represent the company and spread the word about our products and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in an HR Generalist role preferably designing and implementing HR policies and processes.
- Full membership to IHRM.
- Knowledge of the labor legislation governing the labor market. (OSHA, WIBA, and Kenya Employment Act.)
- Hands-on experience with Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) e.g BambooHR
- A great communicator and listener.
- Enjoys working across different cultures (and time zones) is paramount.
- Broad knowledge and experience in recruitment, training, development, and performance management.
- Possess excellent problem-solving skills and team management experience.
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter and motivated to move ahead without direct instruction.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience working in a technology firm / with technologists preferred.
- Experience working with multi-international organizations.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
How to apply
Please send the following:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position and working at Ona.
- Resume or CV.
Note we will only contact shortlisted candidates.