Who we are
Ona is an award-winning social enterprise based in Burlington, VT and Nairobi, Kenya that develops technology solutions to address some of the world’s most intractable problems with a focus on global health and development. The world’s leading development organizations rely on the software solutions we develop to be more data-driven and accountable to the people they serve.
We make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops. These include Ona Data — a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy — our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP, a mobile health platform Ona is developing in partnership with the World Health Organization.
Ona is looking for a Business Development (BD) Associate in the Partnerships team. This position is based out of our office in Burlington, VT with consideration for remote employment within the East Coast.
The BD associate will work directly with our Burlington based CEO and our distributed Partnerships team in all aspects of the business development process. This includes opportunity identification, product demos, coordinating and assisting in proposal writing, budget development and business intelligence. Through this process the BD associate will help define how Ona’s tools can best serve our partners needs.
We are seeking a candidate who has a background or interest in business development in the global development sector, is an excellent writer and multitasker who enjoys working collaboratively with globally distributed teams to help develop solutions to important problems, and have a tech background / be tech savvy with a passion for the potential for technology to improve lives.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Identifying and cataloging potential business opportunities including reviewing and seeking out requests for proposals.
- Opportunity development - In support of the Partnership team help identify potential organizations working in global development, to target our solutions and manage them in Customer relation management.
- Proposal development - In support of the senior team, help coordinate the proposal development to ensure high quality proposals are developed in a timely and collaborative way. Contribute to proposal writing, proposal review and packaging.
- Solution development - As part of proposal development, working with our sales engineers on the initial high level problem definition and solution design.
- Collateral development and communications - help develop, customize and adapt content to meet specific country or partner contexts. This includes coordinating with our product development and solution delivery teams to ensure product and project profiles are developed and maintained.
- General support - help support the CEO and leadership team as it relates to business development including helping coordinate meetings, participate in demos, perform market research, etc.
- Relevant experience in or knowledge of business development in the NGO, development or private sector.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field - eg. global development, business, economics, computer science, etc.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Prior proposal development and budgeting experience are highly desired.
- Very detail oriented, with the ability to create highly professional collateral.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience working with a diverse, distributed and multicultural team.
- Desire to learn - prior technical background is desired but not required as long there's the willingness to dive in and develop demonstrable knowledge of how Ona’s products work.
- Strong technical skills in MS office Excel, Powerpoint, etc.
- Willingness to travel - On occasion to Nairobi, Kenya and to partner sites around the world.
- Post graduate degree in a relevant field
- Prior experience living and working abroad.
- Professional Fluency in French, Portuguese, Arabic or Spanish.
- Prior experience working with software development teams.
- Understanding of digital health and global good software tools.
How to apply
Please send the following to:
- Cover letter describing why you are interested in this position.
- Updated resume.
Kindly note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.